A Bad Habit!

It has been a roller coaster couple of weeks. Hopefully, I will be able a to update everything with in the next couple of days in different posts. There is so much to talk about from Mother's Day to a pregnancy update. Today, however, let's start with the "Funnest" (heavy on the sarcasm) thing that happened these last couple of weeks. The ER.

Our yearly trip to the emergency room is becoming a very bad habit. I'm pretty sure that when this has happened three years in a row, it is officially a tradition and not one that I think ANYONE should have. Need a refresher?

ER Trip 2013 (me with a severe kidney infection)

ER Trip 2014 (The Little Guy with a Breath Holding Spell)

Well... it was time to go again on Friday the 15th. We had been staying at my parent's house while they were on a trip to Nauvoo and having a normal day. The Little Guy and I dropped Ariel off at work at 2 and came back to the house because I really needed a snack before my doctor's appointment at three. It was raining and the Little Guy decided that he wanted to play in a puddle outside of the house so I had to drag him in... and he just froze up (yep a breath holding spell again). I tried everything to get him to respond but he wouldn't. Spencer (who was still asleep as it wasn't time for him to go to work yet) heard me struggling and ran in. We had to call 911. It was the worst it has ever been, even worse than last year, I even had to give the Little Guy a couple of breaths while we waited for the EMTs to arrive. The cops got there first and they were scared. There was a shortage of ambulances and the EMTs were next to arrive but just two by themselves. I should point out that when this happened last year, they gave the Little Guy oxygen, watched him for a while and then decided that he better go to the emergency room; that was not the case this time. As soon as the EMTs looked him at, one of them stared getting the oxygen out while the other one just picked him up and carried him outside to wait for the ambulance that arrived within the next minute. I later heard tell the ER doctor that the Little Guy had passed out twice in his arms just while he was carrying outside (what every Mom wants to hear right?)

I had only been in ambulance once before (last year) but it was not like this. Sirens blazing, running stop lights the whole deal.  They had me sit in the passenger seat next to the driver and everyone else (6 people) were in the back tending to the Little Guy. I couldn't really much back there and I really don't want to try to describe what I could see. I just concentrated on the cars in front of us (Side note: I was shocked to see how long it actually takes some people to move out of an ambulance's way. I couldn't believe how unaware some people can be when they are driving)

Imagine my surprise when we got to the hospital and the Little Guy had his pants off and blood splotches everywhere from failed attempts to get an IV in him (apparently he kept yanking them out), One of the EMTs actually came and help my hand as they were getting him on the hospital bed, probably seeing the horrified look on my face.

I just want to say that if you go the ER and have to fill out a bunch of paperwork and there is a lot with admittance, you should consider yourself lucky. That means that you do not go enough. All I had to do was give them the Little Guy's name and date of birth and then sign the consent to treat form. They already had all of our information (and that's not a good thing). We were at the hospital for about 3 hours. They just watched the Little Guy and even let him take a nap. The doctor talked to me about breath holding spells and assured me that we had done the right thing calling 911 and that it is always better to be safe than sorry. When we left the hospital, it was as if nothing had happened. The Little Guy was super happy and Spencer even went to work. I didn't have a freak out moment which I think may have actually been worse for my psyche. The next day, I just felt defeated, like I could not handle anything else. In fact, I am crying now as I realize that I was still not over it (thanks to those that read my blog and let me get my emotions out). The Little Guy had pretty yucky looking bruises that are almost gone now, but it was a good reminder for him and he would show them to everyone. This may sound awful but I can only hope and pray that this has now officially scared him enough that it will not happen again.

I do have to share small Tender Mercies that happened while were at the hospital to remind us that the Lord is always with us. It may really not seem like much but it was a really big deal

1) I wore the hospital bracelet. When the lady from admittance came into the room just asked me if I wanted to wear instead of putting it on the Little Guy. Little did she know, we had been having the worst time as he wouldn't even let the nurses put the heart rate monitor on his toe. She saved us from a bunch of unnecessary torture and she didn't even know it.

2) Food. If you recall, the reason we were going home in the first place was because I was hungry. One of the nurses recognized that and brought me water and a whole mess of crackers and cookies.

3) The EMT that held my hand, I was just about to loose my shiz at that point.

4) The ER doctor. He was very understanding and not once made us fell like we were idiots for making such a big fuss when our child was fine.

I am pretty sure I have mentioned on here before but I'll do it again... This is not something that I would wish on the worst person in the world. Seeing your child basically lifeless in your arms is more horrible that I can even describe.

Look for more upbeat posts in the near future




Comments

Popular Posts