A very big favorite of mine!

For those of you who have not know me for very long, the 24th of July is my second favorite holiday (as I consider Christmas and Thanksgiving to be tied together so close that they are essential one holiday). I realize that I may have some readers outside of Utah so let me explain. The 24th of July is the day we celebrate when the Pioneers came into the valley. In a lot of places, it is nothing but a day off from work; but in Spanish Fork, it is a full on party called "Fiesta Days" (Yes I realize the irony of using a Spanish word). There are so many things going on it can literally make one's head spin, but the main event is the Rodeo. We were not able to get tickets this year but still had an awesome time. 

Unfortunately, since this is a holiday only in Utah, I still had to work, but it worked out perfectly and we were able to do all of our fun things around it. We started with the parade. I love the parade so much, floats come from miles and miles around. My favorite part is seeing the different schools. Spanish Fork High is always first and (let's face it) by far the best. It was the most perfect parade weather ever! I'm not going to talk to much about our spot because we get it every year and it is perfect (I want to try to keep it as secret as much as I can). Although if you live in Spanish Fork and don't know where we are... shame on you.




After the parade we met up with Spencer's old band friends for our yearly scones at One Man Band. It is a tradition that we stared 4 years ago and are still going strong. Although last year I came to the realization that I didn't have to actually get a scone and I stared ordering fries instead (ironically enough, the fries are not as greasy as the scones). SIDE NOTE: I can not speak for all the One Man Bands across Utah, but the one in SF has sure gone downhill. If we were to move our tradition, I would definitely not shed a single tear over it.


This is where things take a turn for the worse as a blogger. I went to work so I had to miss Spencer play at the park (concerts at the park is one the many Fiesta Days traditions) and I can NOT get Blogger to load the videos! It is making me super mad, but I guess there is nothing I can do about it. If I can miraculously load them later, I'll make a separate post about it. We went to dinner at my parent's house and that is when all *** broke loose. The plan was to go to the carnival and the fair. My mom had gotten tickets for the carnival already and was super exited to take the Little Guy on the merry-go-round. However, the Little Guy decided this was not to be. As soon as we all walked out to get in the car, he saw the neighbors sprinklers on and decided that if he didn't get to go play int he water.... well there was not order way in his mind. It was the biggest tantrum he has ever thrown to the this point of this life. I couldn't even get him in the car seat, Spencer had to come and do it. There was no way that we were going to go the carnival after that and decided to just go home and put him to bed. I was super bummed. I have been trying to get Spencer to take me to the carnival for the past 3 years and once again, it was not to be. My mom was super bummed too and had to settle for taking a friend's baby on the merry-go-round. We all lost. (Of course there are no pictures)

On a brighter note, this was the 4th year that my MIL throws her annual Side Walk of Fire (a lot of traditions started once Spencer and I stared dating). It is usually takes place for the 4th but do to some scheduling conflicts (namely she won tickets to the actual Stadium of Fire, the namesake for the party) it was pushed to celebrate the 24th (although it actually took place on the 26th.... a little funny huh?)

This year it was the biggest blow out yet. Instead of the usual get together to do fireworks, we started earlier and with food. My in-laws made hot dogs and everyone bought side dishes and deserts. The food was so good and it was packed. 







Eric's Plumbing set up their trucks on either side of the street to block it see (see it in the background?). Yeah, this woman can through a party


Another added bonus this year was Keelabasa rocked out. It was so much fun, they did all of my favorite songs and I even joined them for Johnny B. Goode (I can't say how well I did because I couldn't hear myself. People congratulated me afterwards but I think they were just being nice). Julianna even rocked out to Carrie Underwood. Remember how Blogger is not letting up upload videos right now? Yeah, that applies to the ones from Sidewalk.


The fireworks were out of this world this year. Really. It was AH-MAZING!!!!!! Everyone outdid themselves. The Little Guy got bored within the first five minutes (it was about a half an hour all together) but he sucked it up and stayed still (the same thing Spencer does. Yeah my boys love me and my obsession with fireworks). He also really liked having my mom and dad there. They came after they went to dinner for their anniversary (twenty-six years) and surprised the him. It always baffles the Little Guy to have both grandparents in the same place. He almost doesn't know how to handle it. 

Is it any wonder as to why this is my second favorite holiday?

Oh and here are some random pictures of the Little Guy. Spencer downloaded a Muppets game for him on the IPod and he loves it (Spencer that is, the Little Guy is okay with it every once in a while)


My parents bought the Little Guy a new suit for church with shoes (pictures to come) and then took him out for ice cream. Yeah he is super spoiled. The Kiddie Cones at McDonald's are the perfect size for him.


More updates to come (and I will load those videos as soon as I can).

Comments

Popular Posts