The Story of Us

My absolutely favorite story in the world to tell is how we got engaged.... so here it goes.... again ;)

It was July 4th and Spencer and I were supposed to get together at 9 AM to play tennis and then spend the entire day together. But it kept getting later and later and I hadn't heard from him at all, so I just chalked it up to "he is probably still sleeping" (he worked overnight all summer so he's sleeping schedule was all screwed up). Imagine my surprise when I got a text message from him at 2 PM saying that he was having a delicious foot long from Subway and that we could play tennis later. I was really mad that he had just blown me off like that, but when he finally showed up at my house after 4 I forgave (it's really hard for me to be mad at him when he is with me. It is something I'm going to have to work on before the wedding). He picked me up so that we could go see Transformers and said that he had something to give but not yet. Unfortunately we missed the showing we were going to see and the next showing didn't start for another 2 hours. So we just walked around the mall.

At 7 we went to the Montesino's house for dinner (it was delicious) and we hung out with them for a while. Then at 9:45 we went to the Keel's house because Julie (Spencer's mom) put on something she called "Sidewalk of Fire" (I know, super cute name. There were so many people there. It was awesome. Everyone brought fireworks and just set them off in front of the Keele's house. When that was over we walked over to Carlson's house (Spencer's best friend) because he was going to set off fireworks too. (If you haven't picked up on it yet, I absolutely LOVE fireworks). Well, it turns out, that Carlson had already done his fireworks and had actually gone to the store to buy more, so Spencer and I decided to go on a walk until he came back. We walked to the church closest to Spencer's house and just sat in the parking lot watching the fireworks other people were doing (kudos to Utah for legalizing aerial fireworks this year).

As we were sitting there I joked that we were like a movie and that this was hopefully not the part when the serial killer came. We discussed movie genres for a while until he finally said that we were a romantic comedy because he was so funny. Then he said out of no where, "let's go up the mountains." And I said, "are you insane? it's 11. We can't  just go up the mountains" so he said, "Well then let's go to a park, let's go somewhere romantic" (I really don't know how I didn't see it coming, I can be so slow sometimes). He then said, "Let's go to the football field" and I knew exactly what he meant. You see, we graduated form Spanish Fork High School. and there is a tradition among the students called the True Don. The gist of it is, that if you kiss someone at midnight while standing on the 50 yard line in the middle of the football field only then are you a True Don (the Don is the school mascot).

So there we were, 3 minutes before midnight figuring out the exact location of the middle of the field. And we kissed (yes Spencer and kiss sometimes). We then decided to just sit on the bleachers for a while. We sat there talking about high school and how so many things had changed and I stared getting really tired so I said that we should probably start heading home (it was around 1:30). But he said we couldn't end our romantic comedy by simply going to home. And I joked that it wasn't really a romantic comedy because we hadn't had and conflict. So we decided to break up for 30 seconds in order to create conflict. We both got up and actually walked away from each other but he called me 15 seconds later asking if we could get back together because he still had something he wanted to give. I sat back down and he got down on one knee and proposed :D I was so surprised, and, of course, I said yes.

Well it turns out that the reason he had been MIA all morning was because he was buying the ring. (Which is absolutely perfect by the way. He picked out the exact ring I wanted. And I hadn't told him anything), The reason he was eating at Subway was because he had to wait forever for the ring to be sized. The funny thing is that now that I look back I did in fact see the box in his pocket but I though it was just his phone (like I said, I can be really slow sometimes)

He can be so assertive when he makes a decision. He decided he was going to propose on Sunday night, bought the ring Monday morning and proposed that night. He later told me that his plan was to wait for the perfect moment and it just to happens that the perfect moment came sooner than he had expected. I love him so much and I can't wait to marry him :D

Comments

  1. Oh that is a cute proposal! :D Nice Job Spencer!! You two are so cute!!! I love it!! Thank you for adding me to your blog!!! :D I sure can't wait for the wedding!!! :D -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are still my little baby. Remember ...padre e hica... I love you guys. Good bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the blog girl =) So excited for you! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts